Pinhey's Point, or Horaceville, is a ghost town located on the Ottawa River in eastern Ontario.
Around 1820, an English merchant by the name of Hamnett Kirkes Pinhey, received 1000 acres of Canadian land from Lord Bathurst,the
Colonial Secretary, as a reward for his services in the British Army.
Pinhey retired from business, left England and travelled to Upper Canada. In March Township, he built a grist mill, homes for employees
and a small two storey log house covered in clapboard for himself. There were seven small cannons facing the river.
In the next few years, he expanded on his modest home, adding a stone parlour and three small upstairs bedrooms for the servants.
Then, in 1841, he built a central hall kitchen wing with a sweeping staircase leading upstairs to a dining room and a bedroom over
the front entrance. Then he added a south wing with a library, pantry, drawing room and more bedrooms on the second floor which was
completed by 1849.
Pinhey continued to prosper as a politician and insurance broker. He named the estate, Horaceville, after his oldest son Horace, who
was to be the heir to the estate. This was in accordance with British aristocratic tradition.
There was also a barn, stone stable, powder magazine and St. Mary's Church on the property. Pinhey
donated part of his land and the labour costs to the building of the church. Construction began in
1825 and the first service was held on October 7, 1827. The opening featured a seven gun salute from the cannons.
The bishop of Quebec was against the idea of a church so close to the river, and so refused to consecrate the church.
The site remained the property of Pinhey's heirs until the 1970s, when the property was sold to the township. Horaceville was preserved
as a provincial heritage site. Today, Pinhey's home serves as a museum.
© All photos are property of Ghost Central Paranormal Investigations and cannot be republished without prior consent